Food Distribution Coordinator
Little Mountain Neighbourhood House (LMNH) is currently seeking a responsive and efficient Food Distribution Coordinator to support the Central Vancouver Transitory Food Distribution Program at the Neighbourhood House. The food distribution model includes bridging access to locally grown and affordable food with a centralized virtual ordering platform with Farm to Plate Market Place.
Healthy food access, food security, and food affordability is an ongoing issue in the Little Mountain/Riley Park area and has increased because of COVID-19. In order to respond to community needs, LMNH is providing food support – through food bank sourced, grocery gift cards, and produce sourced from local gardens, urban farmers and farmers market vendors - with a weekly food distribution program. As the Food Distribution Coordinator, you will be responsible for all aspects of the program: provide excellent customer service to community members accessing food, ensure food safety, oversee logistics and planning, purchase of fresh produce, storage of food, packaging, and distribution of food, scheduling and deliveries, outreach, data collection, and weekly reporting.
Please send a cover letter and resume to:
Tanya Findlater, Manager of Child and Youth
3981 Main St, Vancouver, BC, V5V 3P3
The successful candidate will:
- Work under the guidance and direction of the Manager of Child and Youth/Community Engagement Coordinator to coordinate food distribution
- Maintain and lead the coordination of a nutritious, culturally appropriate, and accessible food program
- Create a plan to purchase fresh produce to complement the nutritional content of food box distribution
- Maintain communication with Greater Vancouver Food Bank and other food suppliers/sources for inclusion into the weekly food distribution
- Work with Riley Park Yard Garden volunteers and leadership teams to collect locally produced fruits and vegetables for distribution
- Recruit, train, and supervise volunteers for weekly food distribution
- Outreach with current and new community members who are accessing food support to build connections and support information and referrals
- Assist with outreach and communications (such as emails and website) to promote food activities at LMNH and in the broader community
- Manage weekly data entry as required by project funders and program evaluation
- Monitor and evaluate the progress of work through regular report-backs at food security team meetings
- This role requires both in-office and remote working hours
Other duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum 2 years of work experience in community development or food security programming.
- Education in community development, food systems, social work, or related field of study
- Experience working in a diverse and multicultural community and with vulnerable populations such as those experiencing poverty, homeless, BIPOC, newcomers, seniors, and those with a physical disability
- Be capable of lifting up to 40 lbs
- Must have a valid Food Safe certificate (or willingness to obtain)
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, problem-solve, and practice sound decision-making
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Valid Driver's License
- Clear criminal record search upon hire
- Experience with volunteer recruitment, supervision, and training
- Ability to communicate in a second language an asset
Salary: $20.00/hour, 21 hours per week. Posting closed on Friday. April.16th at 11 pm.