Child and Youth Programmer
Nature and Scope of Job Role: The Child and Youth Programmer are responsible for supervising, planning, organizing, implementing, program development for the School’s Out Literacy Leaders and Youth Leadership Programs. This position includes coaching and mentorship of high school students from Sir Charles Tupper, Eric Hamber, John Oliver Secondary Schools by hosting training workshops for students to be mentees for younger children. The Child and Youth Programmer brings energy and enthusiasm to the youth team in addition to a passion for working with children and youth.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead program promotion, participant recruitment, and community outreach for 3 afterschool programs in partnership with the Tupper, John Oliver, and West 1 Community Schools Teams.
- Provide program supervision, develop and implement program curriculum, lead youth recruitment and training.
- Develop and facilitate programming with a focus on academic and physical literacy, indigenous/child rights, and arts/culture.
- Maintain registration documents, income/expenses, attendance, program statistics, and monthly reporting.
- Create a closer network of agencies in Riley Park/Sunset catchment area to support middle years programming while addressing children’s health holistically and celebrating cultural diversity.
- Expand program curriculum to include summer programming that focuses on cultural and physical literacy awareness to further build mentorship opportunities in the community.
- Encourage participants to take part in activities; provide feedback to participants and their caregivers.
- Prepare nutritious snacks, keep supplies stocked, and keep the shared program area clean.
- Accompany participants on special field trips during Winter, Spring, Summer Breaks, and Pro-D Days.
- Provide information, referral, and accompaniment services for children, youth, and families to other programs at LMNH, or in the community.
- Attend quarterly meetings with the Community Schools Team and program partners to share best practices and make improvements based on program participants and volunteer needs.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
- Degree or working towards a diploma in any of the following areas: Child and Youth Care, Recreation Leadership, Human Kinetics, Community Development, Social Work, Social/Health Sciences, education, and/or equivalent work experience.
- Min 1-2 years of experience working with children and youth.
- Experience with program design, planning, monitoring, and delivery.
- Cross cultural communication and understanding and ability to work with volunteers.
- Experience with supervising a staff team, leading, and facilitating meetings/workshops.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills.
- Self-motivated and takes initiative.
- Punctual and reliable team player.
- Knowledge of community resources and services in Riley Park/Sunset.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with staff team/community partners.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification or willingness to obtain.
- HIGH FIVE® Principles of Healthy Child Development certification or willingness to obtain.
- Criminal Records Check.
- Class 4 Driver’s License an asset.
- Ability to speak a second language an asset.
Please send a cover letter and resume quoting Child and Youth Programmer to:
Tanya Findlater, Manager of Child and Youth
Thank you for your interest in Little Mountain Neighbourhood House. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Little Mountain Neighbourhood House is an Equal Opportunity Employer.