Posting Date: August 12, 2019
Closing Date: August 23, 2019
Start Date: September 3, 2019
Little Mountain Neighbourhood House Society (LMNHS) is an integral part of the Little Mountain/Riley Park for the past 40 years, providing free or low cost social support programs for seniors, adults, families, children, and youth. Rooted in "social justice" values, we facilitate social connectedness and target our programs to the whole community. LMNHS provides social, educational, cultural and recreational programs and initiatives that strengthen neighbourhood life for a diverse group of community members.
This position works with immigrant and refugee children providing age appropriate learning activities for the children of parents attending Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) classes. The program is for children age 18 months to 5 years. The ECE will plan, prepare, and implement the program. This position is at an off-site location.
This position reports to the Settlement Manager.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Create an environment that fosters positive self-concept and reflects the cultural diversity of the children.
- Develop a daily program schedule and maintain attendance records.
- Prepare the room, attend to housekeeping needs, and tidy/secure/clean room at end of program.
- Ensures children attain planned learning in language skills, social behaviours and other identified developmental goals.
- Ensures the continuing safety and security of the children.
- Orient parents to the program.
- Write program reports.
- Inform, guide and support the assistant staff and volunteers as required.
- Attend and participate in team meetings and workshops.
- Communicate with teaching and administrative staff.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
- Basic Early Childhood Education Certificate and current certification to practice in BC.
- 1 -2 years experience working in a multicultural environment with children 18 months to 5 years of age and developing curriculum appropriate for that age.
- Valid First Aid Certificate and Criminal Record Certificate.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with people from differing cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to work in the team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral English.
- Second language is an asset.
Salary: $18.85 per hour
Please send a cover letter and resume quoting ECE Child Minder to: Susan Schachter, Settlement Services Manager
Thank you to all who apply. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.