Posting Date: April 25, 2019
Closing Date: May 21, 2019
Starting Date: June 24, 2019
Little Mountain Neighbourhood House Society (LMNHS) is an integral part of the Little Mountain/Riley Park for the past 40 years, providing free or low cost social support programs for seniors, adults, families, children, and youth. Rooted in "social justice" values, we facilitate social connectedness and target our programs to the whole community. LMNHS provides social, educational, cultural and recreational programs and initiatives that strengthen neighbourhood life for a diverse group of community members.
This is a Service Canada – Summer Student position. The person hired must be a full time student and must be returning to full time school in September. Under the direction of the Child and Youth and Summer Camp Program Coordinator, the Summer Camp Leader is responsible for supporting programming for 25 children, ages 6-12yrs that focuses on academic, physical, and cultural literacy with targeted STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) learning outcomes for the 2019 LMNH Summer Camp Program.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in the implementation of a fun, safe and enriching day camp.
- Facilitate literacy activities for children 6-12yrs.
- Mentor youth volunteers to support programming.
- Work closely with the Summer Camp in developing social and life skills through positive role modeling and learning activities.
- Partner with community organizations to provide enrichment and cultural identity activities.
- Assist in supervision of children and volunteers.
- Develop trusting relationships with children, youth volunteers, and their families by using an asset-based and trauma-informed approach.
- Assist community events related to Summer Camps.
- Assist in the evaluation of activities and support Summer Camp Coordinator with final reports on the successes and challenges of the activities; provide recommendations on how to incorporate further sustainable literacy-based and STEM programming into programs.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Eligibility according to Service Canada requirements for the Canada Summer Jobs Program 2019.
- Experience working with children (ages 6-12).
- Experience with program planning and delivery.
- Strong leadership and problem solving skills.
- Knowledge and experience in recreation, education, and social skill development.
- Ability to motivate a team of volunteers.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Education and/or career aspirations in field related to children and youth work .
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Self-motivated and takes initiative.
- Punctual and reliable team player.
- Current First Aid and CPR certification or willingness to obtain.
- Criminal record check is required.
- Class 4 Driver’s license an asset.
- Ability to speak a second language an asset.
This is a temporary full time position for 9 weeks between June-August 2019. The successful applicant must be available to work Monday-Friday from 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM. The Summer Camp Leader brings energy and enthusiasm to the child and youth team in addition to a passion for working with children and youth.
Please send a cover letter and resume quoting Summer Camp Program Coordinator to:
Tanya Findlater - Manager of Child and Youth
Thank you for your interest in Little Mountain Neighbourhood House. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Little Mountain Neighbourhood House is an Equal Opportunity Employer.